Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This is a test...


So, we went to see the movie _Up_ yesterday (incredible film, btw) - you really should see it. Beautiful and full of relevant life lessons and great messages.

So, there was this one scene (don't worry, I won't spoil anything) when the main character has to make a choice. A choice that is between something that is deeply important to him (understandably) and something that should be deeply important to all of us, but something the character isn't all that attached to, comparatively speaking.

At that moment, I was really (I mean, REALLY) identifying with the main character and his dilemma. I got so wrapped up in his situation that I lost sight of what the right choice was. I had to actually ask myself what it was and I wasn't sure for a moment. Well, in the spirit of total honesty, I asked myself because my 7 year old daughter was talking in my ear and asked me, "Momma, what is the right choice?" In that moment, I really wasn't sure, and as I write this, I'm baffled and amazed at how easily and completely I lost sight of truth and the stark difference between right and wrong. My judgement was clouded, just like the character's was, because of my own human emotion and selfishness.

I found myself saying the same things the character in the movie was - "I didn't ask for this!" and "It's none of my concern!" when faced with the consequences that would fall upon one of the other characters if I, ahem, the main character chose what he really wanted. It doesn't help that I've faced a very similar loss lately to the one he was facing if he chose against his desires - he would be giving up his home where all his memories were made. I mean, I was really feeling for the poor guy, ahem, myself (once again!).

I was shaken abruptly back into reality when my daughter answered her own question, saying, "the right choice is A because that is really more important than B, right momma?" (she did not say 'A' and 'B', I'm omitting the details so as not to spoil the movie for you!) A was the universally important choice, the one that valued the life and well-being of another character, and B was the personally important choice to the main character. My 7 year old knew the answer right away after considering the options, and I did not until she told me how she came to that conclusion! It was such an 'Aha' moment. I think I told her like 10 times how she was right, that 'A' was absolutely the right choice. Almost as though repeating it would forever etch it in my own brain so I'd never forget that again!

I'm not sure whether to be more overwhelmed with complete pride for my daughter, who obviously has absorbed some truth and is learning to filter real life through that truth, or with complete horror over my own sudden amnesia about that same truth because of my personal struggle with materialism and wanting to put my needs before others'.

I was reminded of this scene this morning while reading my devotional, which spoke about how we are put to the test time and time again in this life with the purpose of learning to do the right thing, rather than just saying what we'll do if faced with certain circumstances. Our true character is shown by what we do, not by just what we say we'll do.

This is a test.

I want to pass the way my daughter did yesterday.

Well done, Aubrielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment