Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Things I'm learning about the desert...

So, after a week and a couple days of living here in the desert, I'm learning a few things.  Having always lived in a mountainous climate (grew up in Wyoming, spent the last decade in Colorado), I now know that I've been pretty limited in my experiences.  Here are a few of the things I'm learning here in the desert of Nevada:

~ 80 degree weather in June is referred to by the local weather forecaster as "springtime that won't go away" and is believed to be inclimate.  Low temps in the 60s are unheard of past May, apparently...

~ Frozen yogurt joints are on every corner and may actually do more business than Starbucks (?!?)

~ Leaving children or pets in your parked car for ANY amount of time actually could put their lives in serious danger (not that this is something I do, but I'm just saying)

~ Cockroaches (and ants, and the occasional scorpion) are a fact of life, as is the quest to rid your home and yard of them.  :(  (I've found a serious hobby in this as of late)

~ Making my family get used to sleeping in 60 degree temps to save money on heating bills is a thing of the past.  Now I'm making them get used to sleeping in 80 degree temps to save on A/C bills!

~ Our children cannot get enough of running through the grass in our backyard.  (When Kyle mentioned this to a coworker, his response was to ask what Kyle was talking about - he said, "we live in the desert, there is no grass here!"  Could have fooled us Colorado mountain folk!)

~ There is no life without A/C.  Seriously - you could die.

No comments:

Post a Comment