Thursday, January 7, 2010

The sands of time


Isn't if funny how life throws us curves and bumps and peaks and valleys, but is always changing?  Recently, I've been completely awed by the fact that today looks so very different than yesterday (I'm talking figuratively, here, although literally applies, too).
  • A week ago, it was last year.  NOW it is a new year, almost 100% full of unknown adventures and potential.
  • A month ago, we were wrestling with a decision about what we could do to be better parents to our youngest child, in particular, who was clearly BORED OUT OF HER MIND (as evidenced by her artwork on our couch, among other places).  I was trying to work from home and earn some much needed extra income, and I was being pulled in too many directions to do anything really well (yes, this is a repeating theme in my life).  NOW we've taken a leap of faith and enrolled her in preschool, even though we were not sure at the time where the money would come from to fund this decision.  Today, I'm so overwhelmed with work from my freelance jobs that I'm relieved to have both the extra money and the time to myself every morning with both girls in school.  And she is THRIVING after only four days of preschool!! 
  • Two months ago, I was wrestling with my own demons around whether we'll have that third child (brought to the forefront by the anniversary of losing our third pregnancy a year ago in Nov) AND I was really upset at the prospect of having to go back to work at a time I thought I really didn't want to.  NOW, while I still dream of having another baby to snuggle and nurture and raise, I'm starting to see around the corner and am getting excited for the future - whatever it may hold, instead of reminiscing in the past.  I'm also hopeful that some additional prospective job opportunities that have recently been brought to my attention will come to fruition.  (Isn't God so good?  I'm ashamed I doubted Him at all when He told me there would be joy again.)
  • Four months ago, as the weather here was quickly cooling (it literally drops 20 degrees overnight, then again a few weeks later, then again a few weeks later) and I was beginning to feel cheated (I mean, my consolation for having to come to the desert was perpetual summertime, right?!?), I started to become even more bitter that I had been stripped from my home in Colorado and plunked in the desert where it still gets cold (albeit not quite as cold as CO) and I was lonely.  NOW, I'm able to get outside and run in 50-60 degree weather while I hear of the rest of the nation struggling through a winter cold front that has brought ice and snow and COLD for weeks on end.  For the moment, it looks like we're sitting pretty good weather-wise.
  • Six months ago, we had just arrived in our new hometown and I was LONELY.  Really lonely.  And I longed for friendship in my new town, but it alluded me.  It seemed everywhere I looked I could see groups of women friends who were enjoying one another's company, but didn't seem to be interested in having me join them.  I felt disconnected and sad, and I desperately tried to keep in touch with all of my friends in CO to make up for it.  NOW I've found several women here in the desert who have been gracious to me and we're forming friendships that I can already tell will be strong, regardless of physical location in the future.  We're finally feeling plugged in to our church home and there are people in this city who know our names and notice when we're out of town.  I'm feeling some connection and that is huge.  And, as an added bonus (because that is just how generous our God is), a friend of mine from CO will be relocating here in three week's time.  Seriously, I couldn't not have made that up!!  Can you say "RUNNING PARTNER?!?!"
  • Eight months ago, we were preparing to leave our home, packing our things, saying goodbye, and shedding lots and lots of tears.  We were headed to the unknown and it was scary and sad and frustrating and all of that tied into one.  NOW, that is behind us and we are able to see the blessings of where we are versus where we've been, and while we still miss our friends and our home in CO, it is ok.  We've made new kinds of connections with them, and those friendships transcend location.
It's going to be ok.  What a difference time makes.  I'm so glad I hung in there, and I hope I'll never forget these lessons while I keep my attention on what is to come.

Thank you for journeying this far with me, and thank you, in advance, for sticking with me - you are a blessing!

1 comment:

  1. what a great post updating us on your life and the way God has moved and provided. i love it, friend. so glad to hear you guys are doing well and filled with hope . . .

    ReplyDelete