Monday, January 11, 2010

To Busy To Fill the Gas Tank

Have you ever had so much on your plate that you had a hard time prioritizing and instead decided to mindlessly surf the internet (or post on Facebook, or watch a movie, or...) and get NOTHING done you needed to??

I have all kinds of hopes for these extra 2.5 hours I've gained every day sans children.  The first week went pretty well, I was able to prioritize all my daily tasks and stuff many of them into that itty bitty tiny eensy little window that preschool has afforded me five days a week.  (Did I mention that timeframe is ridiculously small?!?)

This week, it's Monday, and time management = not so much.  I considered going to spin class, but chose to stay home to get some work done (cue the guilt).  Now I'm posting on my blog and researching random things I really don't need to be wasting time on at the moment.  All the while, the clock is ticking, ticking, ticking...

sigh

All of it reminds me of one of Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" (one of which I'm obviously not right now) - Sharpen the saw.

In his book, he gives this example of the person who is so busy driving that they don't take time to fill the gas tank.  I feel like that person right now.


Now, where is the nearest gas station??  Or maybe I'll just drive a little while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment