Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wrestling

Today's installment in _Streams in the Desert_ hit me right between the eyes.  It was in reference to Genesis 32, when Jacob was wrestling with the angel and tells him that he won't let him go until he blesses him - he was trying to force blessing into his life, despite his dislocated hip and strength that would eventually fail.  How arrogant!  How bold and really kinda disrespectful Jacob's behavior was!

Then I realized, I'm no different.  I continually ask for God to bless me with this or that, expecting my path to be straight and easy - and just how I planned it.  When I hit a bump or a turn or a roadblock, I do whatever I can to get back on the road I envisioned, ignoring the one I'm on and fighting against it.

The blessing doesn't come by force.  The longer we wrestle, the less strength we save for more important things, and we risk becoming injured.  The blessing comes when we finally put down our fists and surrender our own plans, in respect and reverence to His.  Sometimes they are one and the same, sometimes they vastly differ.  Either way, it isn't until we give up our fight with God that we receive the blessing.

And that, in and of itself, for me is a battle I'm constantly engaging in.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment