Friday, May 15, 2009

The promises of new growth

I was staring out my office windows this morning, watching the sun rise through the trees, and this tree, in particular stood out among the rest. One of the things I love about our home is the abundance of Aspen trees. I think they are so pretty, with their white trunks and delicate leaves.



Every year, I'm mesmerized as the leaves mark the seasons with bright green buds in the spring and summer, brilliant golds and reds in the fall, and finally dropping to the ground in the winter. I've blogged before about how I so look forward to the ending of winter and the beginning of spring/summer here in Colorado - with the snow disappearing (hopefully!) for a few months and the warmth allowing us to wear flip flops and shorts to enjoy the feel of the sun on our skin.

A friend of mine blogged recently about how the changing of seasons has new meaning for her right now in her season of mothering. I've grappled with many of those same things she describes. This year, the changing of seasons is taking on another meaning for me, too. While there is new life bursting forth from the trees and the flowers are starting to wake from their winter slumber, we, as a family, are also entering into a new season complete with a new climate, new home, new church... Over the past several days, I've been focusing on viewing our move as a new beginning. A chance to recreate our daily lives, to eradicate old habits and routines that aren't what we want anymore, to draw closer to our God and learn to rely on Him more than we do today. An opportunity to reset - physically, emotionally, financially, and spiritually.

When I think of it that way, I'm comforted and energized by the promise of new life this spring. Even if it is new life in the desert.

2 comments:

  1. so love the hope you speak of here. it is so incredible how God gives us pictures in His world that speak of greater things. thanks for paying attention and for sharing.

    also, a technical note--how do you on your blog post a link and then instead of having the whole link show, just have text show (ie: link to my blog just read "blooged recently")?? would love to know how to do that. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Thanks for your comment and your undying encouragement for me! I treasure you.

    To hyperlink text, from the blogger posting screen, just hilight the text you want to hyperlink, then click the button up top with the globe and chain (it says 'Link' when you scroll over it). A window will pop asking you for the URL, you type it in there, hit OK, then wa la! :)

    ReplyDelete