Sunday, May 10, 2009

What a week!

A week ago today, I knew that the next seven days would be crazy busy and tough to get through, but as I look back on the week, I'm amazed at all we got done. Here's a play by play so you'll understand why I've not been blogging as much lately:


Kyle feverishly worked all week long on building our two back decks - first sawing out the existing concrete patio to make room for deep holes (which he also dug, painstakingly), then pouring more concrete to make the piers for the posts of the decks. He then hired a crew to build the frames of the decks (smart man!). Finally, a friend came for two days to help him put the decking and rails on the decks. They are wonderful, and it is such an injustice that he won't be here for the next several weeks to enjoy the fruit of his labor. The girls and I will have to enjoy them double for him. Here are a couple shots.





The one at the far end of the picture is off our master bedroom, and all but the rails is finished - Kyle's friend is coming back next week to complete that deck in his absence. I'm so excited to eat a few meals, drink a few cups of coffee out there, and spend some time marveling at the tree house our back yard has become now!


While Kyle was working away at the deck projects, I was busily gathering things around our home for our garage sale that we either do not need anymore, or simply do not want to move all the way to Nevada and organizing them in the garage.


On Thursday night, a friend surprised me with a dinner with some other women who I've been privileged to serve with in our local MOPS group. She took me to Chic Fil A because she knew that I'd miss that particular restaurant when we move (can you believe there are none in the whole state of Nevada?!?). While not a glamorous meal at a fancy restaurant, the thoughtfulness she put into the evening was SO touching and such a blessing. I was presented with a photo of all of us together, in a frame, with a matte on which each of them wrote a special message for me. I was humbled at the knowledge that they went to all that trouble to honor me. What a gift.


After dinner, a few women had to get back to their families, but three of us stayed behind to spend some time together. We decided "on the fly" to have some fun by trying on prom dresses! So out of character for me (I'm always so serious...), so I was a little uneasy about the whole idea, but I didn't have a better one, so we went for it. It was so much fun - turns out letting loose a little bit and doing something silly is actually a really good time! The best part was the time with friends that will be such a great memory!


After all that excitement, it was back to the work of putting together the garage sale, which I did all day Friday. Saturday was the big day, and people showed up early (I knew they'd do that, but I was SO not ready). We hurredly got everything put out, eventually, and the day was a huge success. We now have much less to move, helped some people out with some great bargains, and made a little money in the process. A friend of mine stopped by early in the morning to drop off a few things she wanted to sell, and ended up staying all day long to help me out. Isn't it amazing how God takes care of us through our friends?? So neat - I was so thankful for all her hard work and don't know how I would have done it all without her.


Kyle and I finally sat down with the kids to a really healthy meal of buffalo chicken wings and fried mushrooms (yum!) last night around 8:30 pm (yes, that is way past their bedtimes). We then collapsed into bed with little energy to spare.


This morning, Bri and Kyle made blueberry pancakes and sausages for me for Mother's day. They surprised me with an incredible book Kyle made on Blurb.com with pictures of the last several years of our lives - some from when Kyle and I were newly married, some chronicalling Aubrielle from her newborn days to now, and the same for Denali. I was so touched, (and so fried from the exhausting week past) that I burst into tears. I had to assure Bri that these were "happy tears" - she was looking a little worried (she had been so excited all week for me to open this gift). I couldn't think of a better Mother's Day gift than a priceless book that I can thumb through whenever I want to swim in some very happy memories of our lives together. It made me feel so loved, and so lucky.


Today has been so bittersweet. The craziness of the garage sale is behind me, I have two long-awaited and gorgeous decks to enjoy for the next few weeks, I have been honored and loved by my husband and children. But, today is the day that Kyle also has to leave us for the next three weeks to work in Las Vegas.


He left a few hours ago, and I spent much of this afternoon crying and sniffling. Telling myself that it is only temporary, that it will go by before I know it (with all the things I still have left to do), and that my last pair of contacts are going to go fuzzy if I don't stop, didn't seem to be working. Emotions! They have a mind of their own. A week ago, I could only imagine all the things that are different today and next week will likely be the same with so much going on this month. My challenge is to not get lost in the busyness of life right now and keep looking around so I don't miss anything important!


Whew! I'm so tired. I think I'll go lay in front of the television with the kids for awhile and have some of the chocolate cake that's in the fridge for dinner. :)

1 comment:

  1. what a week, you are right. lots of emotions. so glad you got loved on by friends and your family. what a precious gift. hang in there. these weeks will fly by- i want to still watch the girls for you sometime next week! love ya, L

    ReplyDelete