Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Through the eyes of a child



So, a few weeks ago, Kyle and I broke the news to Aubrielle that we were considering moving to Las Vegas. I was not in a good place emotionally about the move at the time (and still have my moments!). I didn't realize just how bad my attitude was until after our conversation with our first born. Without hesitation, Bri became excited and started talking about how much fun it would be to go to a new place and start new with friends at school, etc. etc. I was amazed, and a bit surprised, by her reaction.

I immediately assumed it was childish innocence, her not realizing the gravity of what we were telling her. I wanted her to know that this would mean she'd have to leave her school here for good, leave her friends - all that she knows of Colorado. I reasoned with myself, at seven years of age, how could she possibly understand all there was to consider? When I brought up some of the things to which she would have to say goodbye, she unflinchingly continued on about how she thought this would be a good thing, and listed even more reasons why. (As I type this, I'm embarrassed of my behavior!)

I dropped my inquisition and attempts to snap her back into reality (who's reality?!?) when it became clear she wasn't on my side of the argument. I've since spent considerable time mulling this over in my mind as I'm coming to terms with my own feelings about moving.

A few days later, having not learned my lesson, I decided to broach the topic again with her, as I was sure we had more to discuss - I mean, this is a big decision, right?!? So I asked her what she thought Las Vegas would be like, still looking for the flaw in her logic that would enable me to understand how she could so easily agree to leaving where shehad been living for her ENTIRE life with no hesitation. There HAD to be a flaw in her logic! (right?!?)

She very maturely listened to my question and gave it some thought before answering. She said, "It is a city, right?" I said it was. She said, "I think it will be like Colorado Springs, only bigger. And there will be warmer weather." Hmmm... Well, I guess that's true.

Just then, something clicked for me. Because of my own emotional state, I was inadvertently trying to teach my daughter to look at the glass half empty, which, unfortunately, tends to be my inclination (I mean, we don't know anyone there, it's a different culture and climate, there's more crime, etc. etc.!!). Her first reaction was to see the glass as half full. Maybe her simple viewpoint is also a good example to me as I try to have "faith like a child" (Mark 10:15, Luke 18:17).


Like me, Aubrielle doesn't get to make the final decision, she will simply follow us wherever we lead her because we're her parents and she depends upon us to meet her needs. Like me, Aubrielle will have to leave everything she's ever known, make new friends, and get used to a new home and new weather, but she trusts that her parents will provide for her, and that lends her confidence that she can overcome her obstacles with our support.

If I'm only human (and far from a perfect one!), and she trusts me and her father to meet her needs so she can see this glass as half full, how much more can I trust my Heavenly Father to do the same for me?

It's amazing how our kids can teach us so much, isn't it? I hope Aubrielle never loses the ability to see the glass as half full, and I'm making a concerted effort to look at things more the way she does, trusting that things will work out just fine - maybe even better than I could have imagined.

1 comment:

  1. so powerful! i love the connections you made with a's response and trusting you as her parents with us needing to trust our Heavenly Father. Beautifully written and very encouraging to me today. love Laura P

    ReplyDelete