Thursday, October 1, 2009

Who turned off the heat?

So, the locals have been talking for some time about the day the weather "breaks." When this magical day arrives, literally, overnight it will go from triple digit temperatures (it's been around 100 degrees or more since we got here four months ago) to highs in the 70s.

On Tuesday the weather guy said that would be our last day of triple digits for the rest of 2009. I doubted it - I mean, the weather man in Colorado was never quite sure what would happen from one hour to the next, so how could one here predict for weeks and months to come? And, seriously, 100+ degree temps are all we've known now for the entire time we've been here.

As promised, the milestone for this year was apparently yesterday, when it only got up to something like 77 degrees - a full 30 degrees below "normal." Today, like yesterday, the high is only about 75 degrees or so, and I'm fishing out all my jeans and long sleeve shirts (I think I'm officially a desert wimp now). And, I'm stumped as I look outside and see that things are so drastically different from every other climate I've ever lived in (albeit a limited variety).

Let the record show that the locals must know what they're talking about, and Wednesday, Sept. 30 was the day they all celebrate as the beginning of our reward for surviving the summer in the desert.

Bizarre.

I wish I could shake the looming fear that soon it will be a snowy, icy, winter tundra like every other year when fall shows up.

1 comment: