Monday, October 5, 2009

The Harsh Truth

I love running to the music of Dave Matthew's Band - the lyrics are edgy and culturally relevant, and get me just angry enough to get through that last mile. This morning, when I broke my current running drought (my headaches are finally GONE!), I heard this song - "Mother, Father." It got me thinking about the state of our world today.

While I am living in my comfortable home and driving my comfortable car to get whatever I need from the store just around the corner, so many people in our world don't have clean water or a sense of safety right now. Yet, God created them just the same as He created me, and for some reason I don't understand, He placed me where He did, and them where they are. I found this video that puts it all into perspective. WARNING: it is graphic, but nothing photographed is fabricated - it all happened in real life.

After you watch this, you might walk away with a knot in your stomach, like I did. You might feel an overwhelming sense of sadness, or wish you hadn't had your good day interrupted by the tragedy you'll see, like I did. But, as the song says, "it's up to us to keep the flow," and we can't reflect the goodness and love of our Creator if we bury our heads in the sand. (and ignore the "think free" propaganda that ends the video, unless it encourages you to use your God given free will to enact some positive change)

No comments:

Post a Comment