Monday, October 26, 2009

A close call

Apparently, I've been... what's the word, oh yeah - distracted lately.

Before yesterday, it had been over a month since I last mowed the lawn (good thing we're in the slow growing season, and it's not abundantly obvious to everyone who drives by our house!).

I don't know the last time I gave our house a good cleaning - the kind where all surfaces get cleaned, floors are vacuumed and mopped, furniture is dusted. I'm talking more than just spot cleaning here and there. It's been awhile.

This blog has been neglected, and posts are few and far between.

And, on Saturday, a very real example of my state of distraction got my attention in the form of a minor traffic violation. Luckily, no one was hurt, but, honestly, that is by the sheer grace of God.
I was driving to the store, and we stopped at a red light. I was thinking about where we were going, the shopping I needed to get done, the woman in the car next to me who was shielding her face from the glaring sunshine, etc. etc. The traffic light changed, and I started driving through the intersection. The next thing I realize is there are cars honking and I'm not sure why. Then, I realize they're honking at me. I had run through the red light, apparently thinking the green left turn arrow was a green light, when it wasn't. I was already three quarters through the intersection, stopping both oncoming turn lanes because I wasn't paying attention. I saw no other choice but to just keep driving.

I quickly scanned my rear view mirror and the surrounding area for a police car, and was relieved to see that there was none. From the back seat, Bri asked why the cars were honking and I had to admit to her that I just ran a light because I was distracted. She asked me if I was going to jail, and I told her that I thought I was safe from that particular penalty, although, if a police car pulled me over, I would certainly get a ticket, and I deserved one.

Then, I got to thinking how frustrated all those people must have been with me. God only knows what they were all thinking or saying about me, and I was defenseless. I was guilty, and there was no excuse. My first instinct was to think about how I would defend myself - I've got a lot on my mind, it'd been a long day, I was tired... Then, it hit me.

What I needed was not a great defense for my behavior or to deflect my bad judgement by pointing out how my offense was small, comparatively speaking. No, what I needed was grace.

I was guilty, I made a poor decision, and I could have seriously hurt someone (including the two precious children in my back seat). And, truth be told, there have been so many other times that I've been guilty with no defense, but walked away without having to pay (sometimes traffic related, lots of times not).

So, I'm just so thankful today for grace. And for other drivers in my neighborhood who were not distracted on Saturday. If you were one of them, please accept my apologies.

Either way, I hope you are able to extend grace to someone in your life today - what a gift it is to receive.

1 comment:

  1. glad all was well with the car . . . how are you doing??!! like that you are back to blogging! and love the new look .. . very artistic and clean looking. well done

    ReplyDelete