Saturday, October 10, 2009

What do we know of holy?

I was at a small group this week and getting to know some people here a little better and something struck me during a conversation with a woman and her husband. They are new to the church and are planning to be baptized soon, and we were talking about raising our kids in the faith and how hard that can be when we feel like we don't know it all or have it all together ourselves. And I wonder if I ever will have it all together.

There was no discussion about this, but my mind turned to the spiritual elitism that I've seen in the church that can easily pollute this young couple in the faith. They were talking about how it was intimidating to come to church for the first few times because they are so new to Christianity, and I was thinking about how it was intimidating to me because I was so new to the area. Different but the same - we were both being fed the same lie. I felt compelled to welcome these two children of God into the family, and assure them of their great worth - with or without all the knowledge they seek - they know Jesus and that is what is important to Him. Really, what else to do we need?

He speaks to each and every one of us individually - in a way that only speaks to us because He knows us inside and out. And He wants us to know and seek Him in the same way, with the same passion and intensity. When I think about that, I'm humbled to think that He cares that much about me - all my flaws and failures included. Like this couple, He loves me even though I don't know all the great Bible stories by heart and never went to VBS as a kid.

Later that day, I was driving and this song came on the radio by Addison Road. I've heard it at least four times since our meeting last week, and keep thinking about posting on this topic. I am finally getting it done. Enjoy the song and ask yourself, "what do you know of holy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment