Monday, April 6, 2009

Mom, there's a squirrel in the house!






So, this morning, each of us were hurredly getting ready for our days - Aubrielle was tidying up her room, Kyle was downstairs getting started with his work, and I was in our bathroom trying to get my hair to cooperate (with little luck). Suddenly, I hear Denali nervously giggling as she ran through the house. She annouced with glee, "Mom, there's a squirrel in the house!" as she ran by with the newspaper she'd just dutifully picked up outside for her father.

Knowing too well the jokester Denali is and her    active three year old imagination, as well as the fact that we have a rampant squirrel population in our neighborhood (ask me about the time they were living in our attic!), I was not sure what to think. But, it was possible enough that I was worried.

Kyle, on the other hand, although he did bound up the stairs upon hearing Denali's proclamation, quickly dismissed it when he did not see evidence of any rodents under the dining room table where Denali was pointing. He said confidently, "I think she just thought she saw the squirrel come inside after seeing it outside."

Denali looked a little perplexed as to where the squirrel went that she was sure she saw sneak inside the open front door while she was retrieving the paper. So, she continued to look around. Kyle, on the other hand, was convinced there was nothing to worry about and began heading back downstairs. I headed back to my bathroom to continue my battle with my unruly hair, placing my hope in my husband's confidence and closing every door in the hallway on my way back - just in case.

A few seconds later, I hear Kyle yell out and Denali sqeal once again with delight - they'd spotted the squirrel. In the laundry room.

What is it about mice and spiders and rodents (in general) that makes women like me, who are normally very rational, suddenly turn into a hysterical screaming mess completely consumed by fear?!? And what, exactly, was I afraid of? Despite the relative smallness of this furry creature, I was terrified.

All I can say is, thank the Good Lord that Kyle was home this morning and was able to bravely shut himself inside our tiny little laundry room with the squirrel (to avoid letting it get out and run through our house). He closed the door behind him, we heard a scuffle and a muffled grunt from my manly husband, then he emerged victorious, annoucing that the squirrel, after jumping onto the top of his head and then slamming itself into our wall, was able to navigate out the open window to the great outdoors, where it belongs. Problem solved.

He then apologized to our youngest for doubting what she swore was true. There WAS a squirrel in the house. What a funny start to the day - no doubt both girls will be announcing our squirrel adventure to their classes as soon as they can raise their little hands to speak. :)

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness! that is such a funny story! i agree, i totally freak out too about little animals that can run faster than me, even if i am way bigger! so hillarious!

    ReplyDelete