Sunday, June 13, 2010

Being still and other random thoughts...

We went to the new version of "Tha karate kid" yesterday. While it wasn't as good as the original with Ralph Machio, I did think Jaden Smith's performance was remarkable, and the story still stirs me.

I had an 'aha' moment when the sage teacher is explaining to his pupil the secret of the cobra charmer they'd seen. He said it was "being still". Then, the student asks, "so she controlled the snake by doing nothing?"  The wise response was,"doing nothing and being still are two very different things."

So true, Jackie Chan, so true.

While pondering that, I had the opportunity this morning to go to Bikram Yoga (90 minutes of intense yoga in a room heated to 105 degrees). Yoga is largely about focusing on your breath, and while your body is facing stress from every front, you are challenged to quiet your mind. Something that doesn't come easy for me.

Another repeating theme.

It was a good reminder, and I'm grateful for it. I'm going to make an effort to quiet my mind this week (which is SO not doing nothing).

And, did I mention that the online authorities say my 90 minutes of suffering at the yoga studio burned a whopping 941 calories?!? This may need to return to my regular fitness routine - so far today, I've eaten -243 calories!!

2 comments:

  1. Why do they heat the room for the Bikram Yoga? They should just open a window! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! You know, Dan, the funny thing is, it was a mild day in the desert yesterday (the high was around 90), and when she opened the door to the outside to "cool it off" a few times during the class, I wanted to suck all that air in for myself. I thought then, "what do they do when it's over 105 outside??" I dunno...

    ReplyDelete