Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fellow Las Vegans - Check this out!

So, this morning, I finally got around to participating in the Bountiful Baskets co-op that is organized by my friend, Lindsay. It was so much fun! While I know it wasn't quite the same, it got me feeling a little bit closer to the farmers and the fields where my food was grown (I guess that's simply because it didn't come to me via grocery store, I dunno...).

What I really loved about it (besides the low, low price for a HUGE basket of food) was the sense of community it gave me. There's something about working alongside other people who you've never met before toward a common goal.

Oh, and there is an element of surprise to this co-op that adds a little Christmas morning magic to the mix - you don't know what you're getting until you get there!  You sign up online the Tues/Wed before and pay $15 for what is $50 worth of fresh produce.  (I understand that they also have special offerings periodically, like bread, olive oil, bulk produce (like 25 lbs of carrots), etc.)  It's fun to see what you're going home with every week, and because of this my family will be trying new things that I otherwise don't buy regularly!

I was also thinking it would be a great thing to bring my oldest daughter to - when I volunteer to help out, she could work right alongside me and all the other volunteers. I hope she'd get as much out of it as I do!

Am I reading too much into this Saturday morning activity?? Maybe.

But, it's how I felt - can't help that. I think I've found a new Saturday morning ritual! :) Check it out at www.bountifulbaskets.org!

Here is the list of offerings this week:
  • 2 butternut squashes
  • 6 ears of corn
  • 1 lb of brussel sprouts
  • 6 tomatoes
  • 1 head of romaine lettuce
  • a bag of baby carrots
  • 1 watermelon (the little, cute ones)
  • 5 mangoes
  • 1 bunch of bananas
  • 5 key limes
  • 10 white peaches
  • 1 bag of apples
Plus, because I volunteered (by showing up an hour early and helping to unbox and sort the produce into baskets), I was able to take an additional 2 heads of romaine lettuce, another bag of baby carrots, and more tomatoes than I can count (we'll make a red pasta sauce to freeze this weekend!).  My laundry basket was full and heavy, and we still had enough to donate to our local fire stations!  LOVE IT!

Hope to see you there some Saturday!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm SOOOOO thankful for your help today! I feel the same way about going on Saturday morning to help out too. It's really a neat organization. You should definitely bring your daughter...I'm sure she would love it!

    ps...do you have a good sauce recipe that uses whole tomatoes? I just made bruschetta and I still have about 10 tomatoes left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindsay! My husband is an avid fan of Alton Brown, and a couple of weeks ago he saw a show on a red meat sauce (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/meat-sauce-and-spaghetti-recipe/index.html) - he made it (warning: it is VERY labor intensive) and we devoured. So, he's going to make it again (only this time doubling the recipe so we can freeze some for later)... I figured we could substitute the diced canned tomatoes for fresh ones!

    ReplyDelete