Thursday, December 3, 2009

Seriously?? The Things Parents Say...

This is a shout out to the parents who read my blog (and an attempt to make myself feel better for the experiences I go through daily).  I just have one question for all of us.  What is up with the things we have to say to our kids that A) we never thought we'd hear coming out of our mouths until it flies out of our lips, and B) we never thought would be necessary to actually have to say???

You know how some things sound so ridiculous, like they should be common sense and no one should ever have to be told?  We have some laws like that, there are policies in every organization like that, and I'm beginning to think that the complete disregard for common sense must stem from when we're children.

Obviously, rules have to be made because somewhere, at some point in time, someone actually committed an act so shockingly ridiculous that the rest of us needed to be told it isn't allowed.  

Here's a sampling of "parental comments" that I've said at one time or another over the past 8 years (and counting...):
  • Don't lick the table!
  • Why is there poop on the wall?
  • Don't chew your shirt.
  • We are not taking a worm home for a pet.
  • Leave the cat alone - it's not ok to pull her tail.
  • There's no dancing in the wine dept. at the grocery store.
  • Leave the cat alone - she does not like baths in the sink.
  • It's not ok to suck water out of a wet towel because you're thirsty.
  • Don't chew the pencil eraser, or the metal that connects it to the pencil, or the pencil, or the pen.
  • Put the dishes in the dishwasher (no, that's not my job).
  • Leave the cat alone - it's not ok to shut her in your room all day long.
  • Take your hair out of your mouth.
  • The couch is for sitting, not jumping.
  • This is a restaurant, not a jungle gym.
  • Don't chew on your toenails.
  • Please shut the door when you use the bathroom (regardless of where we are).
  • If it's not food, drink, or a toothbrush, it doesn't belong in your mouth.
  • LEAVE THE CAT ALONE!!!!
Whew.  I know it must sound like I spend all day correcting my kids from their feral behaviors, and that's because I do.  It just seems like sometimes some of these things should go without saying.  Doesn't it??  I guess, I'll just keep saying them...

1 comment:

  1. Love it!!!! O.k. you HAVE to read this post by my friend Tara. It totally fits with what you said in your blog - except at a totally gross level. I hurt, I was crying so hard. Love ya!

    http://justmycupoft.blogspot.com/2009/12/not-in-this-house.html

    ReplyDelete