Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Bookmark Gift Idea

Those of you who know me well know that I'm not gifted in the "crafty" department. Oh, sure, I can copy other people's ingenuity, but coming up with it on my own is, well, a challenge. I'm craft-challenged.

Anyway, my MOPS group (Mothers of Preschoolers) has a craft for us to do every meeting, and our last craft was so cute and functional (and cheap!) that I immediately thought of all the people in my life (and my daughters' lives) who needed one of these bookmarks for Christmas!!  (I only wish I had the time to make that many...)

Maybe you, too, are stumped about what to give your child's teacher or another friend or family member and maybe you could use a craft to copy like I could. So, here goes:

Step 1: Buy wax string and beads of your choice at your local craft store. Cut the string into strips about 18 inches long.


Step 2: Make a double/triple knot about 3-4 inches in from one edge of the string and then string an ornamental bead (like a silver charm or large bead) on the end, knotting it, so it will stay. Then add a bead or separator (small bead), doubling the end of the wax string back on itself, so that it will go into the beads and be concealed. 


Step 3: Add several beads (I did 5) in any pattern you like, knotting the string after the last bead to keep them from moving (it might take a double knot).


Step 4: Starting at the other end, make a knot 3-4 inches from the end (it might take a double knot). Add beads (I did three medium sized with small ones for spacers) to that end, then tie a double knot at the end. Snip off the remaining string and wa la! Homemade bookmark!




No comments:

Post a Comment