Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Just one more thing

So, I'm driving in the car today and one of my favorite songs by Sara Groves comes on my CD player, "Just One More Thing". I really like this song - like all of Sara's music, the lyrics are deep and truthful and cause me to examine myself (and it doesn't hurt that it has just the right cadence for my running pace!). This is my quintessential mother motivator song that ALWAYS convicts me of how I'm so Type A and my kids are suffering because of it. Listening to Sara plead with herself to set her priorities straight and make time for her kids, I get to thinking (once again!) about my own lifestyle. I always seem to make time for the Internet, or spinning class, or whatever it is I'm consumed with at the moment. So why don't I exert the same amount of time and energy when it comes to quality time with my girls?

I'm always saying "be there in a minute" or "not now, mommy's busy". Before I know it the day is gone and I didn't ever get to the easy bake oven or playing with them and their my little ponies. I'm never at a loss for more tasks - laundry always has to be done, floors need swept, lunches need made, my "real job" is calling... I'm like every other honest mother in the world who admits the truth about being overwhelmed and sick with hurry (I can see each of you collectively nodding in understanding).

It hasn't been that long since both of my girls were born - where did seven and three years go already??? I can see the writing on the wall - if I don't slow down and simply *be* with them, it will be 10 years later and it will be too late. So, what's the answer? Do I quit my job, let go of my ministry and volunteer responsibilities and check out of my life so I can check in to theirs? I know that's simplification, but I have to wonder. Is this impending move God's way of getting my attention? Forceably removing me from all of my commitments and requiring me to reboot my life to fit my family? Maybe so - maybe not. But what a shame if I miss the wake up call and require more drastic attention getting measures. As Sara says so well, "at the end of your life your relationships are all you've got".

Here's the whole, heartwrenching and thought provoking song:

2 comments:

  1. Boy is this a timely entry. Not only am I going to email this video to all my friends, but I'm going to stick the name of the song on my refrigerator so that I don't forget to slow down and enjoy my kids before its too late.
    kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is convicted....and I have not even listened to the song yet but I do believe I have heard it before

    ReplyDelete