Saturday, July 17, 2010

What You Focus On Grows

My friend, Laura, posted this quote on her blog recently:

“A person will worship something, have no doubt about that.  
We may think tribute is paid in secret, in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will play out.  
 That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives and our character.  
Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping, we are becoming.” 
~  Ralph Waldo Emerson

This, for me, has been a daily struggle - I've posted about it before - what I focus on grows.  And, what I worship, I am becoming. 

This truth was made clear to me yesterday through my daughter, who tends to ruminate and easily become consumed by her emotions.  It's often the negative ones she's feeling that do her in and can lead her even to physical sickness.  She and I had a discussion yesterday as she was complaining of not feeling well about trying to focus on "happy things" instead of how badly she was feeling.  I could see her spiraling downward in that all-to-familiar cycle that often leads to a place none of us want to go, and I was desperate to help her try to avoid going there.

And I wish I had someone to give me that pep talk whenever I'm consumed by frustration or anger or sadness and allow myself to submit to those negative feelings, influencing my entire day for the worse (and just about everyone who has contact with me).  What I focus on grows.  Whether it's how great my day is going or how tough my lot in life seems at any given moment.  

So, I had to ask my daughter yesterday the same question I should be asking myself EVERY DAY.  What do we want to grow?
Sickness?
Anger?
Sadness?
Pity?
Selfishness?
Jealousy?
Greed?
Apathy?
 
or...

Peace?
Patience?
Kindness?
Compassion?
Love?
Joy?
Faithfullness?
Gentleness?
Self-Control?

This morning, as my little girl awoke, she came out to the kitchen to announce to me that she was feeling better and she believes that she "kept the sickness away with happy thoughts".  One battle won.

I want to win today, too.  How about you? 


No comments:

Post a Comment